Pages

Monday, June 13, 2016

A Gesture of Love from "The Friend"?

This month’s cover of The Friend (a children’s magazine published by the LDS church) shows two children eating a watermelon. It’s a terrific drawing, but, at least at first glance, not that different from what you might expect to see on the cover of a children’s magazine. However, upon closer inspection, I noticed two things that make me smile.




First, the girl in the drawing is wearing a rainbow-colored hair clip.


Second, the word “LOVE” appears to be written in the watermelon.


I don’t know if these were intended to show support for the LGBT community or not (June is LGBT Pride Month). I certainly hope they were, particularly after the horrifying events in Orlando over the weekend.

“I like to look for rainbows, whenever there is rain….”

No comments:

Post a Comment